Friday, April 17, 2015

Rising Above Low Expectations

I would love to be a level II neonatal nurse when I'm older. This is a nurse that mainly works with premature babies. I have wanted to go into this field for several years. Seriously. I can vividly remember when I first told my cousin over three years ago "I want to work with preemies when I grow up."  I won't go into all the details about why I want to become a neonatal nurse, but I will say God has really put this on my heart and has kept it there. It's definitely something that I am passionate about. But, in case this career is not in His plans for me, I am keeping an open mind for other career opportunities. I don't know, right now, since this is continuing to press on my heart, I am pursing it as much as I am able to. 

Honestly, I think that we tend to stop after the "idea." We think "I might have an idea of what I want to do when I'm older, but that's about it." We just don't do anything to help it. Either it's that we don't know how to take our dream to the next level, we just don't want to, or we just think that we can't. It's easy to look around and think that since everyone else isn't taking that step forward to improve your future, you don't have to either. I have thought about this a good bit. This is where you listen to God. 

I am trying to take those steps forward. I talk to nurses to try to gain information. I try to learn as much as I can about nursing-or more in general-the human body. I'm taking anatomy in my junior year in high school. Today, I even attended an online class on pediatric nursing. Your teenage years are extremely valuable. Use them. Mold your future. These are the years to take action. Unfortunately, society does not agree. They have put teens in this category where they are expected to fail just because they are teens. Society, says that we have to go through these years being unproductive. I'm sick of this way of thinking. Personally, I haven't experienced this too much. My parents are great. They are such an encouragement to my sisters and I. They do not put us in this category at all. Most of my friends or my parents' friends do not do this either. But every once and awhile, I run into someone who thinks that being between the ages of thirteen and eighteen is a nuisance to today's society and even to them. "You're 14? Oh wow, I really feel for your parents." There have even been times where people voice things to my parents such as:"Yikes! Your daughter is a teenager. Been there done that. I'm glad I'm through with those years. Good luck." Teens' actions should not be excused. But if today's culture continues to treat teenagers, kids, or anyone in general, like they are going to fail during a certain age period, they might just listen to you whether they want to or not.

My friends and I are constantly having to overcome the obstacles of society's low expectations. When did we start discouraging teens? When did we start treating them as a bother? We can stop this. I encourage everyone to stand up to today's expectations. Exceed them. "Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." -1 Timothy 4:12 Go ahead and start molding your future but also to remember to live life. Don't be so involved in the future that you forget to live in the present. There is definitely a balance. God's guidance is literally a lifesaver in all situations including the one I have presented. 

-Madelyn

4 comments:

  1. Great post Madelyn! I am so thankful I heard messages like this in my teen years and was inspired to use them well. God can do great things- big and small - through you as you trust Him and let Him use you in your teens. And such a great time to learn and grow! And I think you would be awesome working with preemies :) Love and miss you! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Miss you too! We love reading your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Good job big sister! I Love You!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete