Monday, June 16, 2014

{Blessings}

Hello! I'm going to get right to the point today. =) If you're anything like me, then you will occasionally feel sorry for yourself. You throw yourself a pity party and focus on the negative instead of the positive. That was me. We bought a house we were going to (and still are) renovating two years ago. We knew that it needed some repairs and replacing, but we didn't think that it would take too long. A year tops since we were only working on weekends. We added on and found a few lot of things we needed to take care of...the details aren't necessary so I'll just tell you that the one year turned into two. We were really thinking that we would move in before August 2014 but that doesn't look like it will be the case because we can't do one project until we finish the other. Anyway,  needless to say, we were all disappointed and discouraged because we all wanted to move in soon. I, threw myself a little pity party for a couple of days. I didn't even want to think about the house. I was about ready to give up and then, I don't know, something-or rather someone-changed my mind. Instead of focusing on this negative setback, I needed to focus on the positive which is why I wrote a "Blessings" page in my journal. I will go ahead and share a few of my blessings with y'all.


Blessings:

1. We're closer to finishing the house than we were two, even one, year ago.
2. We have started painting the walls so that's one step closer.
3. We have our "old" house we can are living in so it's not like we don't have anywhere to stay.
4. We have amazing friends we can call if we need help painting or doing anything else.
5. We have learned work ethic.
6. Mom is two miles from work right now but she wouldn't be if we were already moved in.
7. Same thing for Dad. All of his customers are in town so he doesn't have to drive far.
8. God can and will get is through this and it is strengthening our faith along the way. 

There are so many other blessings I can think of that's relevant-and that's just the house! That's not even counting all the other abundant blessings we are graciously given. I didn't share our-for lack of a better word-story to get pity or sympathy. I shared it to give a legitimate example of a situation where you can become or feel discouraged. This is nothing compared to what others might go through. 99 percent of the time, others have it worse problems than you. I'm not saying that I won't have another pity party at some other time of my life-I probably will sooner than you think-but we, I especially, have to remind ourselves that God is with us and He is for us. He will guide us along the right path. Joshua 1:9 is one of my favorite verses and you can see why.

"This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Wow. Just wow. God is with me, me, wherever I go. Writing down my blessings has helped me so I encourage you to do the same. On a side note, I have found it very useful to have a favorite saying or reminder on the front of your journal. Mine is "Let it Be" because I am supposed to let it be and let God take control instead of trying to do things myself. 
--Madelyn

1 comment:

  1. Learning thankfulness is so important; I struggle with it too. Thank /you/ for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete